CompEx Ex 12 Application Design Engineer
The CompEx Ex11 Mechanical qualification has been developed for mechanical operatives working in hazardous locations where gases, vapours or dusts can form explosive atmospheres.
- Practicing competent electrical application design engineers
- Practicing competent electrical and instrument operatives aspiring to be application design engineers
- Electrical/instrument engineers aspiring to be application design engineers
- Employer supporting letter confirming the benefit of the Ex12 course for the individual
The 5-day course includes:
- Theory only, no practical elements
- Guided learning (theoretical 20-25 hours, applied learning 2-4 hours)
- Various points of assessment throughout the course
The CompEx Ex12 qualification has been developed in consultation with the UK Regulator and industry to ensure that the core competence of application design engineers can be measured and provides a benchmark for employers to meet the competence requirements of the IEC 60079 Series of Standards.
Based upon the IEC standard 60079-14: Electrical installations design, selection and erection, the purpose of the Ex12 qualification is to instruct and assess the competence of candidates who are either aspiring or practising application design engineers.
The course consists of two separate units, Ex12a (Non-Intrinsically Safe equipment) and Ex12b (Intrinsically Safe equipment), which covers the minimum requirements for competence of electrical application design engineers, whose responsibilities include the selection of appropriate certified electrical equipment for pre-determined hazardous areas.
Contact Us Now
Key learning objectives
Candidates that successfully complete the CompEx Ex12 Application Design Engineer qualification will be able to:
- Ex12A: meet the competency requirements of IEC 60079 -14 for ‘Designers (design & selection)’ for the design of Non-Intrinsically Safe electrical equipment installations in explosive atmospheres.
- Ex12B: meet the competency requirements of IEC 60079 -14 for ‘Designers (design & selection)’ for the design of Intrinsically Safe electrical equipment installations in explosive atmospheres.
Candidates who are successful in all assessments will receive a CompEx Certificate in Core Competence.
Candidates must undertake several examinations which cover both Ex12a and Ex12b including:
- Marking exam (45 minutes)
- Core exam (45 minutes)
- Standards exam – Parts 1 and 2 (2 hours 15 mins)
- Design exam – Parts 1 and 2 (3 hours)
Candidates are required to undertake two practical assessments:
- Ex11 – Flange Integrity Installation and leak test – 60 minutes
- Ex11 – Pumpset inspections (visual and detailed) – 60 minutes
Make an enquiry
If you would like to make an enquiry about the CompEx Scheme or require further information about any of our qualifications, please contact us by completing our enquiry form.