Foundation plus (ExF+)
Foundation plus (ExF+)
The CompEx Foundation qualification has been designed to provide an introduction into potentially explosive or flammable environments where gases, vapours and dust can form a hazardous atmosphere.
This qualification is suitable for electrical or instrumentation technicians who are new to working in hazardous areas, trainees, and recently qualified technicians who wish to develop their knowledge of working safely in hazardous areas.
With its practical element, the CompEx Foundation Plus qualification is ideal for those considering the Ex01-Ex04 Gas and Vapours qualification, which includes a number of practical assessments.
- This course includes both theoretical and practical elements.
- Guided learning: 10-14 hours.
The Foundation Plus qualification provides candidates with a basic understanding of the regulations, directives and standards associated with hazardous locations.
This course provides an overview of where gases, vapours or dust could potentially create an explosive or flammable atmosphere, how hazardous areas are classified, the safe working practices that should be followed and the basic protection concepts used for certifying Ex equipment.
The course uses a combination of theoretical and applied learning, including how to correctly identify, install and terminate certified Ex cable glands and conductors. This practical element means that the qualification is primarily aimed at technical personnel who wish to develop their abilities before undertaking more technical CompEx qualifications.
Contact Us Now
Key learning objectives
Candidates that successfully complete the CompEx Foundation qualification will be able to:
- Identify the correct national regulations, directives, and IEC standards which relate to hazardous areas.
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of the main protection concepts, categories and protection levels that apply to equipment certified for use in hazardous areas.
- Recognise the elements that make up a hazardous atmosphere and the precautions required.
- Identify the correct descriptors used for criteria that classify a hazardous gas, vapour or dust location.
Through the practical assessment candidates will be able to:
- Select the correct Ex cable glands to be installed during the assessment.
- Demonstrate the ability to correctly install certified Ex glands to armoured and non-armoured low voltage cables using appropriate tools.
- Demonstrate the ability to correctly terminate low voltage cable conductors into an enclosure using the appropriate tools.
Assessment is undertaken using a practical assessment and an online examination.
Candidates must undertake a multiple-choice online examination. This exam consists of 30 questions answered over 45 minutes.
Make an enquiry
If you would like to make an enquiry about the CompEx Scheme or require further information about any of our qualifications, please contact us by completing our enquiry form.